Monday 30 June 2008

What the first ride went like

The first ride on Saturday 28th June had a good turn out - 12 people to be exact. With cakes and coffee stop at the rather plush-looking new East Park pavilion, we trundled on round by the cycle tracks to the Humber and the docks. Some cooed over the huge container-lifting leviathan of a truck before we passed a murder scene (of fish - we hope) and then looked angrily in ABPs(Associated British Ports) direction for blocking a right of way. However, skimming stones (trying to) took our minds off things. Well, it did for me. There was one feistier person amongst us whom shall remain nameless but caused amusement as we tried to detect in his walk back to the group what had actually happened at the dock office.
Anyway, I am wittering about nothing and something. What is actually the beauty of the day is all of it. Lasting much longer than I expected and with one token broken brake cable (much less broken bike than I expected), I had - and I reckon the others too - had a jolly good time. I will be adding photos when the lovely Emily returns from her jaunt to the BIG APPLE (capitals are necessary). Respect to Chris who came with Emily for riding my dad's oversized bike and for risking his future by coping with the rigid 1950s leather saddle.
PS If you're coming on the night ride up to Hessle to see the bridge and Hull's glorious lights, then do bring lights. They only cost a couple of bob and it's not fancy - just good.
See you this Saturday - sooner than I had originally thought, but the next day ride will be a couple of weeks after that. Let us know what's good for you - days, times, etc. I'll put the new email: larksandowls@hotmail.co.uk on the website somewhere too.
Blimey. This is a lot longer than I thought.

No comments: